1. Sleeping in an upright reclined position for 1 week after surgery.
2. No heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks. No upper body activity for 4-6 weeks.
3. No reaching out or above your shoulders for 1-2 weeks.
4. Keep your hands and elbows to your side for 1 week.
5. No driving for 1 week post Breast Augmentation surgery or until off narcotic pain medication completely and can respond to an emergency.
6. Please take the medications as directed. Antibiotic medication is for 3 days, pain, nausea and Valium medication are taken as needed. Never on an empty stomach and always space out the medications.
7. Constipation is very common due to the pain medication and anesthesia, please use Colace over the counter or any laxative that has worked with you in the past. You may start taking something to help prevent constipation 2-3 days post surgery.
8. If you develop a rash or think you are having an allergic reaction to the medication please call our office immediately. Sometimes Benadryl will help.
9. No upper body exercises for 4-6 weeks post breast augmentation surgery
10. No ocean water or pool water for 8 weeks post surgery or until the incision is fully healed.
11. No tanning or sun exposure to the incision until the your incision has healed completely.
12. Please do not put scar creams or ointments on the incision immediately after surgery, you may irritate the area or cause an allergic reaction.
13. You may expect to be swollen for a few weeks. This is why it will also take time for the breast to reach their final shape and size. It takes time for the implants to settle into their pockets. We will show you some breast massage that will help the implants settle. Normally patients will start their breast massages around 1 week post surgery.
14. After surgery you will have dressings, surgical bra, possible sutures, stockings provided to you. Please leave everything on until we see you, which is usually 3 days post surgery. The Surgical bra strap band should be placed high over the breast.
15. If you do have sutures they are normally removed 6-10 days post surgery. Sometimes longer if Dr. Pousti feels they need a few more days. If you are an out of town patient and is no longer in San Diego you will need to email pictures to confirm your sutures are ready to be removed. Once you have Dr. Pousti’s ok then you will have to use your primary care doctor to remove for you. Please don’t put steri trips on after suture removal. We don’t want moisture to build underneath the tapes.
16. If you do have sutures that need to be removed and you will be staying in town for us to remove for you then we might apply steri strips. Steri trips need to be removed 1-week post suture removal. You may use gauze and a little bit of peroxide to loosen the strips and then gently remove. Keep the incision dry as much as possible and wait before using anything for the incision.
17. Sometimes instead of sutures doctor will use Dermabond glue. The Dermabond will usually start peeling off 3-4 weeks post surgery. You will be able to shower after your first follow up visit. Just make sure to keep the incision dry after.
18. For Scar treatment most patients will use Hybrisil Ointment, which you may get, from our office for $90. Add $10 for shipping. Hybrisil is prescription strength medication that helps prevent keloiding and redness, and is normally used twice a day for 2 months. You may also use anything that has worked for you in the past. Scars will look their worst and angry looking closer to 2 months post surgery.
19. You may start using Hybrisil, scar creams when the Dermabond has come off and when there is no more scabs on the incision line. That is usually at about 3-4 weeks post surgery.
20. Wear the surgical bra for a total of 4 weeks. You may wear a comfortable sports bra or regular non-under wire bras after you get rid of your surgical bra. You wear sports bras for 4 weeks.
21. Nice under wire bras are ok once you have full sensation at the bottom of the breast. This will be closer to 2 months post surgery.
22. You may have some drainage from the incision lines and its normal after suture removal or when the Dermabond peels off and it’s usually a light yellow/green discharge. Please keep the area as dry as possible. If there is significant drainage please contact our office as soon as possible.
23. If there is redness on the incision line or it feels tender, please call our office and send photos.
24. Incision lines and final results may take up to about a year. Sometimes sutures take time to dissolve, and sometimes you may have them reach the surface.
25. Please keep in touch via email, and send photos to confirm suture removal, then continue to send photos at your 3rd week, 1 month, 2ndmonth, 4th month, 6th month…etc. (wearing cute Bras)
26. Please call us with any concerns Mon-Friday 8:30am-5: 30 pm Saturdays from 9:00am-12pm at 619- 466-8851.
27. If you would like to blog or write a testimonial of your experience in our office please see the following websites