Each person is unique and the way one person scars may be much different from the way another person may scar. Scar revision is performed after the body has had time to heal itself (usually 1 year or so after the initial trauma). There are topical skin solutions and post-op technologies available to help reduce scaring after a cosmetic procedure is performed.
Silicone Sheeting with Silagen
Silicone gel sheeting products are made with specially formulated medical grade silicone gel, the first-line therapy of plastic surgeons including Pousti Plastic Surgery. FDA-Cleared for scar management, silicone sheeting is economical, washable, and reusable. Silicone sheeting is available in 2 backings, including beige (thickest and most durable) and clear (which has high flexibility, comfort and is less noticeable).
• Comes in 12 shapes and sizes
• 2 backing options
• Optimal 1mm thickness, both flexible and durable
• Advanced adhesion technology
• Washable and reusable
• Includes storage trays
Use of Silicone Sheeting to Improve Scaring from Breast Surgery
Silagen Scar Refinement System – 100% Medical Grade Silicone Gel
The Silagen family of products offers customizable options to meet the needs of every patient. Silicone gels are available with and without UV protection, and silicone sheeting is available in 12 different shapes and sizes, as well as in two color options. Each product can be used for the full course of therapy, or alternated day and night with other products in the line.
Silicones have been used for more than 30 years to reduce the appearance of hypertrophic scars and keloids. It has been proven to flatten, soften and reduce the redness associated with excessive scarring. Clinical studies show a greater and faster improvement in scar maturation in patients who use silicone over patients who do not.
100% Pure Silicone Gel
• Soft, silky feel – not sticky
• Dries quickly
• Odor free
• Includes medical grade silicones
• No irritating extra ingredients – great for sensitive skin
Silicone Gel Sheeting and Shapes
• Medical grade silicone
• Flexible and durable
• Reusable for up to 8 weeks with regular cleaning & care
Frequently Asked Questions: How is Silagen different?
• Silagen silicone gels and sheeting are made with the highest quality medical grade silicones. The silky feel of Silagen gets won’t leave a wet, sticky mess on your skin like other gels do. The 1mm thick sheets, strips and shapes feature an advanced adhesion technology, allowing them to conform well to the body and still be durable enough to last for up to 8 weeks with regular cleaning & care.
How does Silagen work?
• Silagen gels and sheets create a protective barrier over the scar, which increases hydration and helps stop excessive collagen build up. This will help flatten and soften your scar, and reduce redness, itching and pain.
How soon after surgery can I begin using Silagen?
• You may begin using Silagen as soon as the skin is fully closed, after any sutures have been removed. Do not use on an open wound.
How soon will I see results?
• You will begin to see results in as little as 3 weeks. Best results are seen after 90 days.
How do I apply Silagen?
• First ensure scar area is clean, dry, and free from creams, lotions, ointments and powders.
***Note these images are from customers of Silagen, not Pousti Plastic Surgery patients.
Products: 100% Pure Silicone Gel 15G – Call for Pricing
This clear, fast drying gel will help flatten, soften and smooth scars while reducing redness, discoloration, itching and pain. It creates a protective barrier, which increases hydration and provides the optimal environment to normalize collagen production. When used after surgical procedures, it may help to prevent the formation of hypertrophic scars and keloids.
100% Medical Grade Silicone Sheeting:
Silicone gel sheeting has been the most recommended scar treatment for more than 30 years. Numerous clinical studies confirm its efficacy in preventing and treating scars resulting from surgery, trauma and burns. Silagen Silicone Gel Sheeting is the result of 10 years of research and development. This non-sensitizing, self-adhesive, flexible sheeting offers the following benefits:
• 1mm thickness enables greater durability and a longer useable life
• Easy-peel backing
• Available in two colors – clear and beige
• Sizes and shapes to match all scar types and sizes
Currently available at Pousti Plastic Surgery in the following shapes/sizes:
• Areola Circles (Pair) – Call for Pricing
• Abdominal Strip – Call for Pricing
• Anchor + Areola Circle (Pair) – Call for Pricing
Sheeting & Shapes – Peel off backing and apply over scar with adhesion side down. Wear daily for 6-24 hours. Remove once daily to allow site to be washed and dried. For best results, use daily for a minimum of 2 months.
Gel – Apply gel in a thin layer and gently massage. Allow to dry for 1-2 minutes. Apply twice daily for a minimum of 2 months.
*Do not use Silagen gels underneath Silagen sheeting and shapes, they will cause them to lose the ability to stick to your scar.*
Patient Pre-Op & 8-Weeks Post-Op With Silicone Sheeting Scar Treatment
PICO Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Technology
Incisional complications and delayed healing are not uncommon in breast surgery and tummy tuck procedures. The PICO negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) system helps protect and heal post-surgical wounds by delivering the same level of effective negative pressure as traditional systems in a canister-free and disposable device, enabling a wide range of surgical applications.
NPWT helps with post-surgical wounds by delivering a topical therapy controlled by sub-atmospheric pressure in a sealed system on the surface of the wound, increasing blood flow to the wound area. The PICO NPWT system also provides significant improvement in scar quality over the healing period.
The below image compares post-op breast surgery with and without use of the PICO NPWT.
Source: Smith & Nephew
PICO Single Use Negative Pressure Dressing for Post-Op Breast Lift Surgery
PICO Dressing Placed Intra Operatively After Breast Augmentation / Mastopexy Surgery